SPARC - Research Compliance
Our compliance team supports the University’s continued compliance efforts by helping faculty and staff understand their obligations under applicable governmental regulations and university policies. While many of our activities are relevant to Rice’s research enterprise, our work can affect many aspects of university activities.
What do we do? We:
- develop and administer policies and procedures related to conflict of interest (COI) , export controls, human subject research (IRB), animal use (IACUC), and recombinant DNA (rDNA) and biohazards (IBC);
- coordinate with SPARC’s grants team to confirm compliance with regulatory requirements at both the proposal and grant stage;
- manage the university-wide compliance committees for COI, IRB, IACUC, and IBC;
- assist researchers in submitting required documentation, such as research protocols (IRB, IACUC, and IBC), disclosures and management plans (COI), and technology control plans and license applications (export controls).
- educate and guide Rice faculty and staff on their compliance obligations;
- maintain electronic compliance systems; and
- submit required reports and disclosures to government and funding agencies.
Systems & Contacts
* This is only for COI, not for Export Control.
Certifications & Assurances
- Human Subjects Assurance: FWA00003890
- PHS/OLAW Assurance: D16-00005 (Legacy No. A3010-01)
- Fully accredited with the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC): 001676
- USDA research facility registration: 74-R-0031/1515